The Far East design principle is usually considered the basis of the interior design since it has been known and successfully practiced for thousands of years.
It may seems strang to apply Oriental symbols in your home. However, feng shui is not just about it. Its essence is to create a favorable environment in our home, which has a beneficial effect on our whole life. For this we have to adhere to some principles, such as unbroken paths within the apartment, the harmony of colors, shapes, dimensions, etc.
Feng Shui follows the long-established practical rules dictated by common sense: we arrange our lives as comfortable as possible. We can apply the rules with taking into account our own culture and traditions.
If you require, we will take these aspects into consideration in the interior design.
There are some practical examples below of the correct application of feng shui. I have chosen the examples from the book of Lillian Too: Feng Shui life planner.
The most important principle for designing the interiors of our home is to ensure unimpeded flow of energy. Create smooth paths where we can move from one room to another, while furniture or other objects do not obstruct our movement. This route is good if it is a bit winding. If it is too straightforward, for example, in a narrow corridor, we can help with walled pictures, light sources, and tricky wallpapers.
It is worth exploring the routes we usually make in the apartment and installing the furniture accordingly. It is not important how much furniture we place, but the way they are placed and how it affects the flow of energy in the apartment. It is important to use all the parts of the apartment, so there is no room or corner we can never reach. The space will be harmonic, the energy flow will be favorable, if the apartment gives the feeling of spaciousness overall. Do not accumulate so much furniture in the apartment which results crowded feel. However too little furniture is not favorable either, in this case we can influence the overall effect with lights and colors.
Tips for a bedroom:
- Our bedroom should have regular shape, avoiding a L or U-shaped bedroom.
- The bed should be comfortable and have a headboard. The canopy bed is particularly favorable, suggesting that a protective cover defend us during the night.
- The bed should not “float” in the middle of the room, should firmly lean against the wall, otherwise our sleep will not be calm.
- Shelf should not be over our head.
- Do not have a mirror or bookcase near the bed.
- Do not have a plant in the bedroom.
- The picture above the bed is best when it represents a pair of something but beware of angular abstract forms or beasts.
Tips for kitchen, dining room:
- The spacious, breezy dining area, especially the round table is favorable, with comfortable high back chairs.
- The mirror doubles the food on the table and generates a sense of abundance.
- The bathroom’s door should not open into the dining room. The dining table beneath the bathroom of the upper level is not favorable either. And preferably we should not eat near the entrance.
- It is a very good solution if the dining room is part of the living room, as this increases the feeling of spaciousness.
- Put potted plants in front of sharp corners.
- The cooker and sink should not be next to each other.
- Do not have open shelves.
- To make the upper cabinets more airy, you can choose glazed door fences.
- Favorable if there is window in the kitchen.
Tips for the living room:
- In the living room it is important to have a comfortable sofa with a good backrest.
- Large windows, lots of light increases the room’s sense of space.
- Place a lot of green plants in this area.
- Paintings, artworks with positive atmosphere are very favorable in the living room.
As it can be seen from the above, the use of feng shui techniques is not as complicated as it seems for the first time, but they are extremely effective and successful in creating our home’s – and thus ourselves’ and our family’s – harmony. We can not change the mountains, buildings and the external environment around our home, but the design of the interior of our home is in our hands. And the practical application of feng shui is miraculous!